Classic and Retro Barnsley Football Shirts
Barnsley have been playing in red shirts and white shorts since 1898 although early on, navy shorts were also occasionally worn. Previous strips, whilst still known as Barnsley St Peters, were believed to be light blue shirts with purple or chocolate sleeves followed later by chocolate and white stripes. By the time the club’s name was shortened to simply ‘Barnsley’ in 1897 the club had switched to blue and white stripes before finally adopting red a year later. Apart from brief periods in the 1920s and 1930s where black socks were favoured, the red shirts have traditionally been worn with red or white socks. Since the permanent change to red, club kits have been relatively sober in design - although one glorious exception came in 1989 with an utterly bizarre kit consisting of a predominantly white body topped with red chest/sleeves and liberally sprinkled with white stars. Thank God it only lasted for one season. Like so many clubs, Barnsley’s away outfits have traditionally been white, but blue has often made several appearances in the club’s travelling kitbag. The club’s longest sponsorship partnership was with mobile phone accessories company ORA from 1994 to 2000 and the Hayselden Volkswagen dealership who have had two stints on the Tykes’s jerseys; 1981-84 and 1991-94. The side’s first sponsor deal was with Taits in 1980.